Design: Pad Sensitivity Pt. II and Assembly

I’ve been working on a ‘push’ or ‘snap’ to fit enclosure for the individual devices. This is to enable quick assembly and a solid tight fit for the individual components. With the addition of the spacer as mentioned in a previous post, this method for assembly is growing closer to its finale. When assembling this enclosure for one of the devices today, I now have an issue with inconsistent readings from the pad sensor. This inconsistency is coming from the pads themselves due to the failed castings of the pads. I’ve had to cut around a 16-grid pad block supplied by Native Instruments. This means that the bottom of the pad has an uneven surface which is knocking the snap to fit faceplate off angle, meaning that if I put pressure onto areas of the faceplate, it will slightly knock out the faceplate and put an uneven amount of strain ont0 certain parts of the pads themselves. I’ve tested several iterations of a new spacer to solve the issue and I’m now looking at a recessed ‘lip’ on the underside of the latest version.

spacer_v9

This acts as a brace for the lower pad and creates an even surface meaning that each device will have equal pressure and sensitivity. Once printed I will be able to test this in the enclosure and finalise the physical design.

Leave a Reply